Trying to find a secure savings path through market swings is similar to being on a safari. Imagine that you’ve just embarked on the adventure of a lifetime: a safari in Kenya. Now, imagine again if you had to choose between two ways of enjoying this adventure:
• Walking along a bush path in single file with an armed guide at either end, ready to protect you against any wild creature that might pounce from behind the high grasses. Of course your guides are well-trained, but there’s always the chance that they might miss the shot.
• Up high off the ground in a large caravan truck with an open roof, safe and sound from any of the dangerous animals. Now you can enjoy the ride, secure in the knowledge that you’ll be back to camp in one piece with a camera full of memories.
The second option is best, don’t you think? And shouldn’t your savings plan be just as secure? The simple answer according to Djamal Saleh, regional vice-president of Individual Savings Product sales with Desjardins Financial Security, is yes. While he admits that market fluctuations can make it hard to stay the course, it is possible to achieve the future of your dreams.”These ups and downs can be compared to the peaks and valleys of a mountain range,” says Saleh. “At least that’s what market yields look like nowadays when you plot them on a graph. We all want to reach the top of the mountain and have different ways of getting there. Some of us like to tackle the steep slope without a harness or ropes. It’ll be an exciting climb for sure, but the fall could be pretty brutal. This is why more cautious climbers will set solid anchors at regular intervals as they make their way to the top. So if they lose their footing, their fall will only be as far as the last anchor. They’ve built in peace of mind and security.”
This analogy is particularly true for those looking to securely grow their retirement nest-egg. One solution that promises predictable returns is a term investment sold by insurance companies. Its key features are:
• Guaranteed minimum return or principal guaranteed at maturity
• Risk-free exposure to securities of well-established companies from the healthcare, financials and consumer staples sectors
• Higher return potential than fixed-interest term investments
• No portfolio management and no management fees
• Principal is 100% guaranteed at death
• Eligible for RRSPs, LIRAs, RRIFs, TFSAs and non-registered savings
For more information about this market-linked investment, speak with your financial advisor. Or for immediate answers, visit the Insurance and Savings section of the Desjardins Financial Security website at www.desjardinslifeinsurance.com.